Friday, May 24, 2013

Exactly Where I Am Suppose to Be!!

This entry is a little different than what I am accustomed to doing so do not be alarmed!  Over the past 15 months, I have been in the process of finishing up my Global Career Development Facilitator training.  This certificate basically helps me brand myself as a Career Expert, or so they say.  When it comes to job searching, resumes, mock interviewing and pretty much anything that deals with trying to get a job, I am the expert and well honestly I am pretty passionate about it!  Finding a job is extremely hard, tiresome and  time consuming.  So why not have someone to help you along the way!!
It is true that I possess my Bachelors of Arts in History and Sociology.  But what in world does that mean?  It means that it is pretty much useless.  Tell that to the 18 year old, me, who knew it all back then and wanted to do something they loved, never considering what I would actually do with that in the future!  I never had a straight path, I played with the idea of being a lawyer but really never vested in it.  I never once in my whole life took a Career Assessment so I really didn't know what I was good at.  In the past 15 months though I got to do true career advising on myself!  It has been a real eye opener!  I feel like the first time in my LIFE I actually know what I want to do when I grow up!  HA HA!    I LOVE the work that I do, I LOVE helping people better themselves.  I LOVE it when someone tells me that they finally found the job they wanted. 
So over the past few months I actually set goals for myself based on my results!  About 3 months ago, I made the decision that while I love the actual work that I do wanted something a little different.  I decided  I REALLY wanted to work in the Post Secondary field.  So what did I do?   I started aggressively looking for Post Secondary work in Workforce Development or Career Development.   I applied a lot of places and finally got a call back from National College and after the interview process I am now the Career Center Director!  (Big title right?)  I am so excited! 
This change though is incredibly bittersweet because I leave behind a host of co-workers that have become my second family who I have shared my thoughts, dreams and so much more with.  They have been there for me through the good times and the bad!  I will always look back at each of them with affection!  I had to reinvent myself to be successful at this job.  I went from the shy girl who didn't like public speaking to the lady who would rather speak in front of people than anything!  And for that I will always be grateful!
The point of all this is it's ok not to have a clear, cut goal in mind because sometimes God puts where he needs you not where we want to be sometimes!    

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you, God has opened another door, so you help others,, , his plans always come on time

    ReplyDelete